‘I hope in time you can forgive me’: Ex-Kasabian frontman Tom Meighan issues grovelling statement to his partner and fans
Tom Meighan has today issued apology to his partner and fans a day after admitting domestic abuse charges that led to him quitting the band.
Ex-Kasabian frontman said he is ‘very sorry’ and ‘deeply regrets’ his behaviour, adding: ‘I am completely to blame and accept all responsibility.’
In his new statement, Meighan said he had ‘struggled for many years’ with alcohol addiction and his mental health was becoming ‘more and more unstable’, with the incident acting as a ‘wake-up call’.
The singer also revealed he has been recently diagnosed with ADHD, which has helped him to ‘understand more’ about his ‘behavioural issues’ and that he booked himself into a rehab programme for his alcoholism.
Meighan added: ‘Vikki and I are still very much in love and we are looking forward to rebuilding our life together with the support of those close to us.
‘I would like to assure everyone that the incident in question was an isolated one, and anyone who knows me will know it was completely out of character.’
Regarding his statement on Monday, in which he assured fans he was ‘doing well’, Meighan wrote: ‘I only wanted to assure everyone I was in a good place mentally, compared to where I had been.
‘At which point, I wasn’t able to acknowledge the pending case. I would never knowingly mislead fans and I appreciate them greatly.’
His former band mates also put out a statement on their Facebook page on Monday saying Meighan was leaving due to ‘personal issues’ and saying they would ‘not be commenting further’.
But in another statement issued on the band’s Twitter page yesterday they said they had ‘no choice’ but to ask him to leave and branded the incident ‘totally unacceptable’.
They also previously accused Meighan of ‘misleading fans’ in his statement.
It comes as a court yesterday heard Meighan ‘smelt heavily of intoxicants’ as he dragged victim Ms Agar across a canopy, threw her against a hamster cage and put his hands around her neck.
He also hit her in the face and threatened to strike her with a wooden pallet.
Ms Agar, who did not support the prosecution and was said to be hopeful of resuming the relationship, was left with a series of injuries, the court heard.
A child witnessed the assault and called 999 to say a ‘domestic incident was taking place’, the court was told.
Prosecutor Naeem Valli said the child ‘sounded panicked and afraid’ while making the call and the victim could be heard saying ‘get off me, get off me’.
Mr Valli said officers described Ms Ager as being ‘visibly upset’ while Meighan was said to be ‘unco-operative and aggressive’.
Meighan, of Narborough, originally denied assault but after watching video footage, he told officers he could not watch it any further because it was ‘horrible’.
Meighan wiped his eyes with a tissue and held his head in his hands as footage of the attack was played.